About One Day for UK
Now in its third year, One Day for UK is a celebration of the University of Kentucky. For 24 hours, alumni, friends, faculty, staff, and fans are encouraged to support their favorite UK college, unit or cause and to spread the word about UK on social media. It is an opportunity to promote UK pride and benefit students, faculty, research, programs and initiatives across campus.
How to use this toolkit
The toolkit is a guide for rallying support and spreading the word about One Day for UK. Below, we have provided best practices to guide you by separating the information into 3 sections (Required, Recommended, Optional) to help focus and prioritize your to-do list in preparing and executing a successful One Day for UK. It includes key facts and information, downloadable images and documents, BBNfluencers, Stewardship, ideas for promoting the day and best practices for university giving days. If you have any questions or problems, please contact Andrew Palmer at email@example.com or Meredith Weber at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Keys to Success
Step 1: Fill out the Unit Participation Form by February 11
All units must fill out this form with their desired fund to promote on One Day for UK. Include the fund number, a text description of the fund and its importance, and a desktop and mobile photo. You can include a video as well.
Step 2: Spread the News
Tell your students, alumni, and staff that One Day for UK is April 21, 2022. Encourage people to get involved, spread the word and support your unit. In all your communications, mention that One Day for UK is a 24-hour giving day.
Step 3: Thank your supporters
We want our donors – alumni, faculty, staff, parents, friends and fans alike – to know we appreciate everything they do to make One Day for UK a success. Read through the One Day for UK Stewardship Guidebook to ensure you are making the most of your unit’s stewardship opportunities.
One Day for UK is a 24-hour day of giving where alumni, faculty, staff, parents, friends and fans can support their favorite college, cause or area. It is a day to celebrate the University of Kentucky’s achievements and to ensure the university’s future success. All gifts support our comprehensive campaign, Kentucky Can: The 21st Century Campaign, which increases opportunities for student success, funds innovative research, improves health care, strengthens the alumni network and enhances athletic programs.
We only have one day! Visit www.onedayforuk.uky.edu/ to track our progress and to make your gift.
Logos and QR Codes
Below are downloadable logos to use on your social media, in emails, publications and other communication vehicles.
QR Codes are one of the best options for mobile giving. Be sure to use the QR code below in your marketing materials to lead them to the One Day for UK website.
A matching campaign is one where a donor has pledged to give a significant financial contribution to the charity to “match” all donations from other supporters within a certain timeframe, up to their pledged amount. Matches are important because they create urgency to donate on One Day for UK
• Securing a matching gift from a donor usually takes months but is the most effective way to raise money on One Day for UK.
• Matching gifts must be booked (either cash in hand or agreement on file with Gift Receiving) by April 1, 2022
• Please notify Annual Giving and Gifts Receiving of your matching gift by completing the matching gift form
• Once your match is secured, tell your community that their dollars are matched on One Day for UK!
Want to customize your unit’s profile picture or cover photo for the big day? View last year's templates below, and be sure to check back here soon for updated graphics. Feel free to use the stock images as needed and reach out to our Communications staff if you need help!
Challenges are fun ways for your community members to multiply your impact. Check back here soon to see a list of this year’s challenges. Once they are made public, focus on the ones that you want to promote to your supporters and include it in your email, mail, and social media posts.
• Let the faculty and staff in your area know that One Day for UK is coming
• Highlight leadership who are passionate and make gifts
• Share what philanthropy accomplishes in your area (give some very specific numbers)
• Encourage faculty and staff to participate in One Day for UK by becoming a BBNfluencer, making a gift, signing up for a payroll deduction gift, or sharing about the day on social media.
• Recognize the faculty and staff who make gifts
Annual Giving will be sending a solicitation and a save the date postcard to many UK supporters. Units participating in One Day for UK have a chance to send a unit-specific mail appeal and emails promoting One Day for UK. All mailings and emails should include One Day for UK boiler plate language and a reference to how One Day for UK is supporting Kentucky Can: The 21st Century Campaign. Mention your funds, the impact they will have and any matching gifts and direct all alumni and donors to make their gift at www.onedayforuk.uky.edu.
• View all mail guidelines here.
• Allow at least one month for planning and execution of mailings. Mail solicitations can be expensive and time-intensive, but they can yield a much greater return than email.
• View all email guidelines here.
• Email requests need to be received by April 8,2022 for emails to be sent out on One Day for UK.
• Email is best utilized to bring awareness to your campaign. It is not as expensive or time intensive as a mailing, but usually has a lower yield.
• Central UK Philanthropy will send out emails on the following dates: 3/24 (Date announcement), 4/14 (Video), 4/20 (Reminder), 4/21 (Solicitation), 4/22 (General thank you), 5/4 (Final total announcement and donor thank you)
• Have a completed list of your target BBNfluencers – past BBNfluencers, engaged fans and alumni, employees, donors, celebrities
• Send personal invitations to your BBNfluencers asking them to represent your college – phone call, email, handwritten note
• Include information about One Day for UK and how to become a BBNfluencer in your social media posts, monthly newsletter, e-blast, etc. in the month leading up to 4/21
• Ensure your BBNfluencers have the resources they need for success- we have created this guide outlining ways BBNfluencers can get involved, as well as a folder of social media resources.
• Reach out to BBNfluencers via email about how they can help promote your college/program and any fund you want them to focus on
• Send personal thank-yous out to your BBNfluencers after One Day for UK – phone call, email, handwritten note (hint: try including a coaster, sticker, etc. in notes to large contributors)
Click here to see the complete BBNfluencer Guidebook, including a timeline, example emails, helpful tips, and more!
• Promote opportunities for engagement hosted by UK Philanthropy
• Plan your own engagement opportunity through a virtual or in-person event
• Send or hand out One Day for UK swag using the logos in the toolkit